DACIC initiate the Community Right to Buy
Dornoch Area Community Interest Company (DACIC) has informed Scottish Ministers that it will proceed with an attempt to buy the soon to be redundant Sheriff Court House in Dornoch’s Square.
Scottish Court Services intend to abandon the building on November 30th leaving the community much concerned about the future of this prominent and important building right in the heart of the town.
DACIC Chair, Jenifer Cameron said, “We are anxious to ensure that the Court House be maintained and used for the long term. It would be a disaster for Dornoch if it was allowed to fall into disrepair. So, we feel that we must, at this stage, inform Scottish Ministers of our hope to buy the building and save it for the community.”
The Community Right to Buy process will now move into its next stage which involves Scottish Ministers appointing a valuer who will have six weeks in which to report back on the commercial value of the building.
Jenifer Cameron said, “It seems utterly crazy that we have to announce our plan to buy before we know what the cost will be but that is what the legislation dictates. Obviously when we know what the cost will be, we will consider whether or not we can proceed or may have to drop out at that stage.”
A feasibility study is being conducted on the options under consideration for future use of the building. DACIC stresses that it can only take the building on if plans are financially viable and sustainable. The group is keen to hear from any private entrepreneur who might have an interest in the building’s future and would be glad to consider any proposal which might come forward.
Valuation is the next stage in the process and it would be followed by a public ballot in the Dornoch area if DACIC continues with its bid.
Follow DACIC's progress here
- 2018-02-05 New FREE evening craft classes start 13th February
- 2018-01-08 OBE for Professor David Bell
- 2017-12-19 A fair deal for Sutherland
- 2017-10-18 Coul Links - Public Information Events
- 2017-10-02 Slient Auction for Marie Curie
- 2017-09-26 Dornoch Stores introduces Cash Back service
- 2017-09-11 £140 discount from SSE
- 2017-08-21 Mobile Banking Service announced
- 2017-08-18 Royal Dornoch Golf Club are Hiring!
- 2017-07-25 Break-ins in Dornoch - can you help?