"Stages of Life" Art Exhibition in Tain
The work of local artist Ian Westacott will be on display in Browns Gallery, Tain from Satruday 24th May unitl Saturday 14th June. Ian specialsies in etchings of trees - as see below.
The following extract is from Alison Munro's review of Ian Westacott's exhibition, Venerable Trees, 2011.
'Westacott carries his etching plates to the trees and works up close. "I always see human characteristics in the trees," he says, "some of them are theatrical, waving their arms at me, others are reflections of myself. I identify closely with their experience." Later, he works on his drawn etching plates in his studio: "I've discovered that the slow process of etching brings out aspects of an image that resonate with me, things that have significance. The slow building-up of lines on the plate and the careful inking and wiping of its surface helps me to know and understand the tree." He rarely uses photographs or preparatory sketches to make these works, preferring to rely on the image directly in front of him and on his memory. ...
Westacott's trees float on their own with little reference to the environment or even to the ground they sit on. There is no atmosphere of place, no human drama to distract us from the direct image of the tree. Westacott's prime interest is in getting to the heart of his subject's unique character. His trees are truly venerable beings; wonderful, distinctive personalities with their own stories and histories.'
Browns Gallery is open Monday to Satruday 10am to 5:30pm
- 2017-10-18 Coul Links - Public Information Events
- 2017-10-02 Slient Auction for Marie Curie
- 2017-09-26 Dornoch Stores introduces Cash Back service
- 2017-09-11 £140 discount from SSE
- 2017-08-21 Mobile Banking Service announced
- 2017-08-18 Royal Dornoch Golf Club are Hiring!
- 2017-07-25 Break-ins in Dornoch - can you help?
- 2017-07-10 £200,000 fund to help tourism on North Coast 500
- 2017-07-03 Kyiv Duo return to St Finnbarr's 26th July
- 2017-06-16 New Cleaning service launched