UHI Centre for History will be welcoming the Royal Historical Society for a visit, and as part of this we will be hosting a public lecture delivered by Dr Lucy Noakes (University of Essex). Titled ‘Histories, Communities and Feelings in the Centenary of the First World War’, the talk will reflect on the continued emotional appeal of the First World War in British heritage and memory. Focusing on some of the many public history events and projects that were produced as a response to the war’s centenary, it will consider the ways in which the conflict and its multiple legacies were remembered in families, in communities and in other social groupings and heritage sites. It will explore the centrality of an emotional connection to the past, and the ways that commemorative activities were often shaped by this connection. Finally, it will think about the ways that an emotional attachment to the past can shape the present and the future.
Time and Date: Monday 18 September 2023, 17-18.30
Location: Burghfield House, Cnoc-An-Lobht, Dornoch IV25 3HN or online
This is a free hybrid event. Attendees are asked to book a place via Eventbrite, to attend either in person or online.
- 2024-02-19 Free Exploring Dornoch Heritage course
- 2024-01-18 Chi Kung restarts 22 January
- 2023-11-14 Can you help St Finnbarrs?
- 2023-11-03 Bonfire & Fireworks Display Saturday 4 November
- 2023-10-26 Community Markets move indoors for winter
- 2023-09-05 East Sutherland Camera Club 23-24 Session
- 2023-08-28 Chi Kung explained
- 2023-08-25 UHI Talk
- 2023-08-25 Caithness & Sutherland Transport Survey
- 2023-08-16 Dornoch South MUGA by DACIC